Defined by the Court, a new deadline for entering the flow applies to those affected in 45 municipalities in Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo
The deadline for joining the Simplified Indemnity System was extended by the Court to June 30th. The sentence was handed down on April 28, by the 12th Federal Court, and the new deadline for entry into the indemnity payment flow is valid for residents of 45 municipalities in Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo.
In Minas Gerais, residents of Aimorés, Alpercata, Barra Longa, Belo Oriente, Bom Jesus do Galho, Bugre, Caratinga, Conselheiro Pena, Córrego Novo, Dionísio, Fernandes Tourinho, Galileia, Governador Valadares, Iapu, Ipaba, Ipatinga, Itueta, Mariana, Marliéria, Naque, Periquito, Pingo-d’Água, Ponte Nova, Raul Soares, Resplendor – including the riverside community of Vila Crenaque and excluding the Indigenous People -, Rio Casca, Rio Doce, Santa Cruz do Escalvado, Santana do Paraíso, São Domingos do Prata, São José do Goiabal, São Pedro dos Ferros, Sem-Peixe, Sobrália, Timóteo and Tumiritinga, can join the Simplified Indemnity System.
In Espírito Santo, access to the flow is open to residents of São Mateus, Linhares, Aracruz, Conceição da Barra, Baixo Guandu, Colatina, Marilândia, Fundão and Serra.
In August 2020, by court decision, the Renova Foundation implemented the Simplified Indemnity System that allowed the inclusion of thousands of people affected in the indemnification process who belong to categories, often informal and also formal. The settlements are one-off and definitive payments, as ruled by the Court, and they vary from R$ 17,000 to R$ 567,000, according to the damage category.
To enter the system, you must be over 16 years of age on the date of the collapse of the dam and meet one of the criteria below:
- Have a registration, request, protocol, interview, registration or manifestation before the Renova Foundation until April 30, 2020;
- Have filed an indemnity action in the Brazilian jurisdiction by April 30th, 2020;
- Have filed a claim for damages in a foreign jurisdiction by April 30th, 2020;
- Have, in any way, expressly manifested before public bodies and institutions (Public Defender’s Office, Prosecution Service, Military Police, Civil Police, Fire Department, Civil Defense, Social Assistance of the municipality) until April 30th, 2020 the condition of being affected by the Fundao dam collapse, with the explanation of its damage, duly proven by a certificate provided by the institutions.
- Specifically for Mariana, those who have a registration/application/protocol/interview recognized with Cáritas Brasileira until April 30, 2020 can also qualify.
Joining the Simplified Indemnity System is optional and must be done through the Attorney’s Portal on the Renova Foundation website www.fundacaorenova.org. To join, people must be represented by an attorney or public defender, following a judicial decision, as only these professionals can access and complete the data in the system.
Until March, indemnities and Emergency Financial Aid (AFEs) paid to those affected in Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo totaled around R$9.36 billion for more than 373,300 people. Of this total, R$ 5.68 billion was paid by the Simplified Indemnity System.