Around R$6.01 billion were paid by the indemnity flow to more than 59 thousand people in Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo
The deadline for joining the Simplified Indemnity System for residents of 45 municipalities in Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo ends on June 30th. By April, around R$6.01 billion had been paid through the system to more than 59,500 people. The amounts of compensation defined by the Court, with a single and definitive settlement, range from R$17 thousand to R$567 thousand, according to the category of damage.
The implementation of the compensation payment flow allowed the inclusion of thousands of people affected in the compensation process who belong to categories, often informal, such as artisans, cart drivers, washerwomen, subsistence and informal fishermen, sanders and others. The system also compensates formal categories such as professional fishermen, boat owners and companies such as hotels, inns and restaurants.
In Minas Gerais, residents of Aimorés, Alpercata, Barra Longa, Belo Oriente, Bom Jesus do Galho, Bugre, Caratinga, Conselheiro Pena, Córrego Novo, Dionísio, Fernandes Tourinho, Galileia, Governador Valadares, Iapu, Ipaba, Ipatinga, Itueta, Mariana, Marliéria, Naque, Periquito, Pingo-d’Água, Ponte Nova, Raul Soares, Resplendor – including the riverside community of Vila Crenaque and excluding the Indigenous People -, Rio Casca, Rio Doce, Santa Cruz do Escalvado, Santana do Paraíso, São Domingos do Prata, São José do Goiabal, São Pedro dos Ferros, Sem-Peixe, Sobrália, Timóteo and Tumiritinga, can join the Simplified Indemnity System. In Espírito Santo, access to the flow is open to residents of São Mateus, Linhares, Aracruz, Conceição da Barra, Baixo Guandu, Colatina, Marilândia, Fundão and Serra.
To enter the system, you must be over 16 years of age on the date of the collapse of the dam and meet one of the criteria below:
- Have a registration, request, protocol, interview, registration or manifestation before the Renova Foundation until April 30, 2020;
- Have filed an indemnity action in the Brazilian jurisdiction by April 30th, 2020;
- Have filed a claim for damages in a foreign jurisdiction by April 30th, 2020;
- Have, in any way, expressly manifested before public bodies and institutions (Public Defender’s Office, Prosecution Service, Military Police, Civil Police, Fire Department, Civil Defense, Social Assistance of the municipality) until April 30th, 2020 the condition of being affected by the Fundao dam collapse, with the explanation of its damage, duly proven by a certificate provided by the institutions.
- Specifically for Mariana, those who have a recognized registration/application/protocol/interview/registration with Cáritas Brasileira until April 30, 2020.
Joining the Simplified Indemnity System is optional and must be done through the Attorney’s Portal on the Renova Foundation website www.fundacaorenova.org. To join, people must be represented by an attorney or public defender, following a judicial decision, as only these professionals can access and complete the data in the system.
The attorney’s fees are deducted from the indemnity amount up to a limit of 10%, as determined by the Court. The required documents for the indemnification process must be sent through the platform, where the acceptance terms are also signed. Payment is made within 10 working days after approval by the Court.